This Chicken Patty Sandwich is flavor-packed delight. We take leftover crumbed chicken patties (or you can make them fresh if you prefer), slather them with a creamy honey mustard sauce, melt some cheese on top, add pickles for that tangy kick, and sandwich it all between toasted ciabatta rolls.
Our recipe will guide you with step-by-step photos, tips and filling variations so you will know the the ultimate way to transform those leftover chicken patties into a mouthwatering meal that will have you drooling for more.
🥪 Recipe Overview
Let's talk about those chicken patties. If you've got leftovers, perfect! You're already halfway there. But if not, no worries! We've got a quick and easy recipe for homemade chicken patties too. Make a few of these babies ahead of time as part of meal prep. Then, you can enjoy them in a chicken patty sandwich for lunch throughout the week.
But the star of the show is the creamy honey mustard sauce. It's a magical blend of mayo, tangy mustard, a touch of sweetness from honey and a kick from hot sauce. Trust us, this sauce takes the sandwich to a whole new level. Slather it generously on both sides of your toasted ciabatta rolls, and get ready for flavor heaven.
If you want to try a different sauce, our sun-dried tomato aioli is another excellent choice for this sandwich.
Pickles add sweetness and extra tang, while spinach brings in some color and extra nutrients.
Please note, this is a more European-style chicken sandwich rather than the American burger-style, like say our fish sandwich.
📷 How To Make Chicken Patty Sandwich
You will find full ingredients, instructions and nutritional info in the recipe card below. Here are some basic instructions and step-by-step pics.
To make the sandwich, start with the star of the show – the chicken patties. If you're making them from scratch, follow the simple steps below.
Just mix ground chicken, breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, chopped onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Shape the mixture into patties and give them a good coat of flour, beaten egg, and breadcrumbs. Then fry them up until they're beautifully golden and cooked through. Easy peasy, right? See the full recipe below.
If you have leftover crumbed chicken patties or chicken schnitzel, you're already one step ahead!
For The Sandwich You Will Need
1-2 chicken patties (depending on size of the patties and your bread rolls), ciabatta roll or burger bun, pickles, cheese of choice (we used Greyer), baby spinach, mayonnaise, wholegrain mustard, honey, hot sauce.
You can make a large roll divided between 2 servings or 2 smaller sandwiches/rolls.
🍞 Which Bread To Use?
There are several delicious options to choose from. Here are a few recommendations:
- Ciabatta Rolls: These Italian rolls have a rustic crust and a soft, airy interior. They're sturdy enough to hold all the delicious fillings of the sandwich while adding a delightful chewiness to each bite.
- Burger Buns: Opt for soft and slightly toasted burger buns if you prefer a classic sandwich experience. They provide a familiar and comforting base for your chicken patty and toppings.
- Brioche Buns: If you're looking for a touch of indulgence, brioche buns are an excellent choice. They have a rich and buttery flavor that compliments the savory chicken and creamy sauce perfectly.
- Thick sliced sandwich bread: If you want to use traditional sandwich bread, go for thicker cut slices that hold the fillings and the sauce together.
Assemble the sandwich
- Step 1. Mix the sauce in a bowl and set aside.
- Step 2. Cut the chicken patties in halves if they are quite thick.
- Step 3. Cut the bread rolls horizontally and spread generous amounts of the sauce on the bottom half. Place 2-3 chicken patty slices on top of the sauce and layer a few slices of cheese.
- Step 4. Broil the sandwich pieces until the cheese just melted and the top piece of the roll is lightly toasted.
- Step 5. On top of the melted cheese, layer on some zesty pickles for that tangy crunch we all love. And don't forget a handful of fresh baby greens to add a pop of color and freshness.
- Step 6. Slather more sauce on the top half of the bread roll and close the sandwich. Press it down firmly and cut in half.
Chicken Patty Sandwich With Honey Mustard Sauce
- 1 bread roll, large Panini or Ciabatta, cut in halves horizontally
- 2 chicken cooked patties
- 1 oz Cheddar or other cheese, sliced (about 30 grams)
- ½ cup spinach baby leaves, arugula or lettuce
- 1 pickle sliced thinly
For Honey Mustard sauce
- 3 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard Dijon or yellow
- 1 teaspoon mustard Wholegrain
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
For Chicken Patties
- 1 lb chicken ground
- ½ cup breadcrumbs Panko or regular
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- ¼ cup onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning dried
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For cooking the patties
- ¼ cup flour all-purpose
- 1 egg large beaten
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoon Vegetable oil for frying
Making the sandwich
- Mix the mayonnaise with honey, wholegrain mustard and hot sauce in a bowl and set aside.
- Cut the bread rolls in halves and spread a generous amount of the sauce on the bottom half. Place them on a flat baking tray over some parchment paper.
- Cut the chicken patties in halves if they are quite thick. Place 3 slices of the patties on top of the sauced bread slice. If you were using square sandwich bread, you can do 2 patties per sandwich. If it's a brioche bun situation, you can leave the patty whole, especially if it fits nicely between the bread.
- Place a few slices of cheese over the patties and place both halves on the tray into an oven, top shelf just under the broil. Broil until the cheese has just melted and the top half of the bread roll is toasted. If you don't have an oven/broil, you can leave the cheese unmelted. You may like to use a toaster for the bread.
- Then, layer on some zesty pickles for that tangy crunch we all love. And don't forget a handful of fresh baby greens to add a pop of color and freshness.
- Slather extra honey mustard sauce on the top half and close the sandwich. Press it down firmly and cut it into two halves.
To Make Chicken Patties
- In a mixing bowl, combine about 1 pound of ground chicken with ½ cup breadcrumbs, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, ¼ cup finely chopped yellow onion, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, ⅓ teaspoon black pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Shape the mixture into patties of your desired size. You can make them round or oval-shaped.
- Place ¼ cup of flour, 1 large beaten egg, and another ½ cup of breadcrumbs in three separate shallow bowls. Dredge each chicken patty in flour, then dip it into the beaten egg, and then coat the patty in breadcrumbs, pressing lightly to ensure they adhere well.
- Cook in a few tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan or skillet over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. The internal temperature should reach 165°F (74°C).
- Remove the cooked patties from the pan and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil. Allow them to rest for a few minutes before using them in the sandwich.
💡Other Chicken Patty Sandwich Ideas
Our recipe is just one way to use a chicken patty in a sandwich and you can adapt it to fit whatever ingredients you have on hand. See more ideas below!
For example, you can swap spinach for arugula or shredded lettuce, mix pesto with mayonnaise and add tomatoes and Mozzarella for a Caprese inspired sandwich.
BBQ Chicken Patty Sandwich: Top your chicken patty with a generous drizzle of your favorite barbecue sauce. Add some sliced red onions and a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese. Serve it on a toasted sesame seed bun for a delicious BBQ twist.
Spicy Buffalo: Toss your chicken patty in spicy buffalo sauce for some heat. Layer it with crisp lettuce, sliced tomatoes, and crumbled blue cheese. Serve it on a toasted brioche bun for a fiery flavor explosion. Check out crispy chicken buffalo sandwich for inspiration.
Mediterranean Sandwich: Spread a layer of hummus on your bun and place the chicken patty on top. Add some sliced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red onions, and crumbled feta cheese. Finish it off with a drizzle of tzatziki sauce and serve it on a toasted ciabatta roll for a refreshing Mediterranean twist.
Hawaiian Chicken Patty Sandwich: Grill your chicken patty and glaze it with a tangy teriyaki sauce. Top it with a slice of grilled pineapple, some crispy bacon, and a handful of fresh arugula. Serve it on a toasted Hawaiian sweet roll for a tropical flavor experience.
Caprese Chicken Sandwich: Layer your chicken patty with slices of fresh mozzarella cheese, juicy tomato slices, and fresh basil leaves. Drizzle it with balsamic glaze and serve it on a toasted focaccia bread for a delightful Italian-inspired sandwich.
Guacamole Chicken Sandwich: Spread a generous amount of guacamole on your bun and place the chicken patty on top. Add some sliced red onions, juicy tomato slices, and a handful of mixed greens. Serve it on a toasted whole wheat bun for a healthy and satisfying option.