Introducing the TikTok Pizza Lava Toast—your shortcut to irresistible cheesy goodness. This recipe went viral and it's no wonder! Akin to pepperoni grilled cheese, it comes together so easily and will satisfy all those pizza cravings in just 30 minutes. It is perfect for lunch and would serve as a super indulgent midday snack.
Imagine the classic pizza experience condensed into a single toast, complete with pepperoni slices and a sprinkle of Italian seasoning. That's the pizza lava toast!
You’ll love how cheesy and simple this recipe is. We used mozzarella cheese for ultimate pull-apart satisfaction and pepperoni to give it a hint of spice and make it into a hearty meal or snack.
Because this pizza toast is made on Italian white bread, it’s the perfect handheld and budget-friendly alternative to pizza.
You may have seen other pizza toasts out there (we’re looking at you, Hailey Beiber) but this one is so simple you’ll want to make it immediately.
If you like
🍕 What is Pizza Lava Toast?
Gaining popularity on Tiktok, Pizza Lava Toast is a dish made using sliced bread and pizza ingredients to create a snack or lunch that gives all the flavors of pizza without the hassle.
Filling the centre of the sandwich with pizza sauce gives it the “lava” effect when you bite into it, so it’s bursting with flavor.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this Pizza Lava Toast.
- Italian white bread- Any other sliced bread will work as well. Two slices per serving.
- Pizza sauce- Use your favorite brand and fee free to experiment with flavors.
- Italian seasoning- This herb mixture will make sure your pizza cravings are satisfied.
- Mozzarella cheese- We recommend using around 16 oz. block so that you can cut slices to your desired thickness. You can do about 3-4 oz. per sandwich or more if you like it very cheesy.
- Pepperoni slices- This will spice up your pizza lava toast and make it more filling.
🍞 What Bread Is Best For Pizza Toast?
We used sliced Italian bread for this toast, but you can also use white, wheat, or whichever sliced bread you prefer!
📷 How to Make Pizza Lava Toast
The full recipe card with nutrition info is below. Here are some handy step-by-step photos.
- Step 1. Preheat the oven to 375 F / 190 C.
- Step 2. Cut thin slices of the mozzarella cheese block until you have 24 slices.
- Step 3. Place 4 pieces of cheese around the edges of 1 slice of bread.
- Step 4. Top with another slice of bread. Create a well in the center of the top slice of bread by pressing down with a spoon. Fill with pizza sauce.
- Step 5. Layer 4 more slices of cheese across the top of the bread and sauce.
- Step 6. Top with pepperoni and Italian seasoning.
- Step 7. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Step 8. Move to the oven for 15 minutes.
📝 Recipe Tips
- Use high-quality mozzarella for that gooey, stretchy texture. Be sure to use block or sliced mozzarella for this recipe. Shredded cheese has a coating to prevent it from sticking together which will affect the texture.
- Customize your toppings—add olives, bell peppers, or any favorite pizza ingredients.
- Don't overstuff the toasts to ensure even cooking and melting.
- Let your pizza toast cool for a few minutes before slicing.
- Swap the pizza sauce for pesto or Afredo to totally change up the flavors.
- Add garlic butter to the first slice of bread to make this snack super indulgent.
- Exchange the pepperoni for crumbled Italian sausage to make your pizza lava toast into sausage pizza toast
- Make this recipe vegetarian by trading the pepperoni for mushrooms, thinly sliced peppers, or your favorite vegetables.
- Swap out pizza sauce for barbecue sauce and add shredded chicken for a BBQ chicken pizza version.
We do not recommend making this recipe ahead, freezing, or reheating. Doing so would result in soggy toast!
TikTok Pizza Lava Toast
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- 6 slices Italian bread
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 12-14 ounces mozzarella cheese block, depending on cheese you like it
- 18 pepperoni small 6 slices per toast
- Preheat the oven to 375 F / 190 F.
- Cut thin slices of the mozzarella cheese block until you have 24 slices.
- Place the first piece of Italian bread down. Place 4 slices of cheese surrounding the edges of the bread, leaving the centre open.
- Place the second slice of Italian bread on top. Press down the centre of the bread with a spoon to create a well. Fill a few tablespoons of the pizza sauce.
- Layer for more slices of cheese across the top of the bread and sauce.
- Top with pepperoni slices and Italian seasoning. Repeat to make the other two pizza toasts.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes. If you’d like, turn on broil for the last 5 minutes to get a bit more browned cheese on top.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a couple of minutes before slicing. Enjoy!